Thursday, August 31, 2017

Dinotopia


Here you have it!  The entire group of six dinosaurs!


As I have mentioned over the series of posts, these presented some very unique challenges.


As for the colors, the task was to take some very grey/brown paint jobs and give them more life.  I really had to dig down into my own thought process and whatever reference images that I could find.


I have no problem doing these kinds of colors on fantasy figures, such as my Lizardmen, but I have been fed the same kind of "traditional" color schemes since I was a kid, and I kept wanting to paint them in those very same colors...


To help free up my own mind, I painted these while I was painting fantasy style creatures, such as dragon men, etc., to force myself to see them in that manner.


It did help a great deal, especially when I had worked my way through several of the figures, and getting differences between them and avoiding repetition became ever more challenging!


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! These were difficult to paint, so it is very rewarding to see them all on one place!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant paintjob you did on those!
    Very much like those drawings you see in dinosaur books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't even want to think of how many google dinosaur searches that I did ;-)

      Delete