Monday, April 27, 2015

All the fishies in the deep blue sea.

All right!  Some fun with glazing, just in time for Reapercon classes!

Let's get things started with some fish dudes...

And bring out some handy wash colors.  We have a fun selection of Secret Weapon washes on the right, and a few Vallejo washes on the left.

The miniature is not completely white, but I did much less action with the shaded basecoat.  I wanted to do as much with glazing as possible.  Since this is all about the glazing class, I need to get much deeper into the various elements right away!

The colors arrayed on the palette.

I started adding glazes to the base, darkening the edges a little more, and using sepia around the bottom section...

Here's another base.  I am trying to create a bit of a spotlight effect, almost as if a diver is shining a light on the sea floor.

I took some of the green Secret Weapon wash... adding a touch of the cool grey.  This is just an initial layer, one that will be built upon several times with additional glazes.

Some of the very bright blue was mixed with the cool grey, and I started to darken the carapice and fins.

Keep in mind, I am pushing this much more than normal.  Typically the color would already by here via the Shaded Basecoat.

Another darker layer is added...

Looking at the other side of the figure, prior to these darker shades, illustrates the difference.

In the next series, I will be working in 'regular' paint colors into the dark areas, plus mixing light colors together with the glazes.

I want to demonstrate that semi-transparent light color scenario which you see me use so often on my own minis.  Stay tuned!

Ready for a dive...

Every time I look at these guys, all I can think of is a Jules Verne diving helmet... can't help it!

This is the proverbial 'cracker' in between terrain meals.  Enjoy!

You can't keep a good zombie down...

Time to show some step by step images of those graves you have seen 'popping up' in the various posts about the town of Wappelville.

These pieces are not just for decoration.  They are specifically meant for games in which the Enlightened are involved.

In effect, Carpathian and his gang are trying to get as many fresh bodies as they can... relative as that term may be.

The graves serve as markers.  If one of Carpathians's living crew gets within 2 inches, they can spend an action point to "open up" a grave, which is then removed from the board and replaced by a zombie.

I began with some textured matboad, and a few quickly carved pink headstones.  A few Zombicide figures were cut in half to make them look more interesting.

My new Desert Sand paste from Vallejo was perfect for adding a bit of piled dirt in front of the headstones.

Some of it was also carried onto the headstones for additional texture and strength.

A little bit of rock and ballast was added...

The two open graves were given some more chunks of rock and gravel.

My next episode will show how these were painted and finished off with flock and static grass.  Stay tuned!!

The Forest for the Trees: Part Two

As I mentioned in the first post, I had thought about adding more mid range and small trees to these stands.

This was not only about some added realism or aesthetic, it was also about additional cover and line of sight blocking.

For the time being, I only added a few.  I wanted to actually use them in some games first.  This small tree was set into some cork, and held in place with my new Vallejo sand paste.  That's the sandy colored material, by the way.

This is how they looked prior to painting.

I put out a variety of tan colors, as well as a larger vat of black brush on primer.  Mixing that in would not just darken the colors, it would give me a chance to create a number of grey and even greenish colors!

The initial layers are comprised of the mixture of black and reddish brown.

As these got lighter, I wanted to move the shades towards tan, as that's what our gaming mats are colored.

A peek at the palette shows you the direction of the colors.

Once the paint dried, I added some flock and static grass.

This is what they looked like out on the table!

This image gives you a better sense of the actual colors and shading.  Much more will be added in the future, but as I said earlier, I will be testing these out in some games to see if there is any room for additions.

There will be some more definition painted onto the trees when I have a few moments.

This is not simply a final view of the trees, but just a sneak peek into many more posts!  I have a series on the way showing the construction of the graves that you see to the right of the church.

There's going to be a very interesting battle fought there, so stay tuned!!!