Monday, January 28, 2013

Individual shots of the Imperial Fists terminators

As promised, some of the individual terminator shots.  There was definitely a wide variety of wargear!

The group shots showed how I was trying to make each one unique via freehand designs, such as the storm shields and the icons / numerals.

The bases were provided by DragonForge Designs.  They are outstanding, with perfect quality every time!

The teal glow on various pieces of wargear was fun to paint, and also provided a nice contrast with all the warm colors!

This was my favorite storm shield design.  If you have seen the Imperial Fist Storm Raven, you will recognize that design!!

The rest will be shown tomorrow!  Stay tuned...

Here's something fun!  Rivet Wars just posted the quick video I did for them.  This is very scaled back from the ones I am making for the kickstarter (those are 40 minutes longer, with text, etc.), but it does give you a bit of a taste:

Fist bump time! Terminator Squad finished!!!

Yes!  Now this is the moment I love... getting to attach finished miniatures onto bases!

After seeing them on stick for so long, it is always very striking to see them on the bases for the first time.  By the way, the bases are from DragonForge...

One by one, they are attached, building to final completion...

I don't think I have ever taken an image of this stage.  In fact, I know I haven't.  So, you are seeing history :-)

And now for some group shots!  I will post the individual ones as they are processed.

These guys were way tougher than I thought they were going to be, due to massive sculpting and casting issues.  I certainly learned a lot...

I hope you have enjoyed seeing the process of painting these guys.  It is always interesting to look back at those early stages when you get to this point, and see what it took to get here!

Again, I will post the individual shots later.  I did an experiment with some new lighting, which I liked a lot, and will become a permanent thing.  It was a bit of an accident, as a fallen/shattered light made the experiment necessary!

More on that story later! Stay tuned...

As always, the techniques used to create these guys are on the painting video kickstarter:

Something to shake your Fist at :-)

At last, we arrive at the closing stages of those Pre Heresy Imperial Fist terminators!

When you last saw these, I was working in the lightest yellow colors.  That's about where we are in this image...

These next few images show the last couple of layers, where the final highlights were applied.  In addition, I worked on the reds.

After the reds were completed, I went back in to a lot of the symbols and icons to clean them up and get those finalized.

That left a few big tasks left to do, and the first would be the teal colors on the lightning claws, Thunder hammers and swords.  I worked on both the lightest and darkest colors to create more definition and smoother transitions...

Just about there!  I did a bit more freehand, and enhanced some of the weathering.

Here's a close up image of one of the final yellow highlights.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the pictures of the finished results!!!

This group needed several painting techniques, starting with the Shaded Basecoat.  I also had to do the yellows, lots of glazing, and some OSL, as well as freehand designs.  I have videos covering all those topics in the painting kickstarter program here: