Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Something from Raging Heroes

Here is a pretty fascinating figure form Raging Heroes.  This is called Kahn-Urkan, and it is the "Heroic" scale.  The base on which he's standing is 50mm.

So, he's got some very hefty wings!

As with all Raging Heroes figures, he comes with many options.  There is another head, another shoulder armor set, and 4 different weapons!  Not only does this give you some great choices to make it exactly what you would like, you end up with lots of fantastic conversion bits.

I know I will be using one of the extra blades for my Dark Eldar!

What has amazed me about some of these winged figures from Raging Heroes is how well they fit.  It's unreal.  The next miniature I will be featuring had 4 wings that fit so snugly that I had all 4 of them attached with no glue or pins!

That speaks to the quality of the casting.  As usual, not lots of nasty flash.

I am using this snow base so that I can make him into a frost demon.  Should be fun!!!!

These guys are beasts!

At first, I didn't think these guys were too nasty in a game.  I was wrong.

With 4 hull points, walker traits (and armor to go with that) and high strength attacks, these suckers are brutal.

I think they are also demons, so they get those saves, and a chance to repair themselves.  As if they needed it!

Just one of these inflicted some major damage to the Dark Eldar in that practice tournament game that we did a while back.

This was the set of options that was used, not the plasma version.  I am sure that one is also very nasty.

This guy was done in an Iron Warriors type of scheme.  It was also the vehicle where I discovered the new use for the Vallejo transparent red.

Some of you may recall the blog post that describes the way I magnetized the weapons and the heads.

There are also some blog posts that show how the base was made .  If you have not seen those, be sure to check them out!!!

Ground level

One more post on the Storm Eagle!  This time from ground level.

The eagle head freehand is definitely my favorite of all the Imperial Fist iconography that I developed for this army project.

The lighter color of the Imperial Fists definitely facilitated the weathering very well.  It has been very cool to work out all sorts of techniques for the weathering!

I love what the streaks and stains do to the logos and icons.  For lack of a better term, it makes them look less 'painted on'...

I did a little change to the fortress icon as well for this vehicle.  That is a terrain piece that I will be making.

It will be a four sided piece, with a modular wall and modular towers for each corner.  Of course, there will be the central tower as well. :-)  Bastion, anyone?

These next few views show the additional nose mounted weapons...

And the missile launcher...

I have some posts coming up that will feature a few amazing miniatures from Raging Heroes, along with some photos of dozens of figures that I have been prepping for the painting videos.  Even more are on their way right now!

Monday, April 29, 2013

The view from above.

Some more shots of the Storm Eagle, this time from the top.  This set really made me comprehend just how huge this thing is.  When you see this vast wing span, and what is attached to it, you can understand why it's so heavy.


Getting pins into the wings was tricky, to be sure.  The first time around, I attached the engines to the sides of the hull, and did the wings separately.  This turned out to be much more difficult.  So, I attached the engines to the wings instead, and left them to be painted separately.

It also made this easier to paint, as the main hull weighed less, and the engines didn't get in the way of the brush nearly as much!

The undercarriage was painted in pieces, as were the weapon pods, canopy and front wings.

Still to come are the pictures of this big boy in flight, as well as the extra nose mounted weapons.  Stay tuned!!

A touch of rust...

A dab here, a streak there, here some rust, there some rust, a little bit of staining.  All that helps to make the 'quickie' terrain look a little more normal.

There was nothing fancy here.  I just mixed some reddish brown together with orange and other browns.  As always, time was counting down, so it had to be done very rapidly!

The one nice thing about mixing in those metallics with the craft paints was the textural difference between the rust colors and the metals.  That's great in a lower light environment.

When I get some more time, I want to paint in cracks on the ground sections, and try to put some insignias and numbers on the tanks...

Here's the storage tank glued in place...

I was hoping that I had left enough open space on these pieces so that minis could get up on them and fight!

We shall see, as players use them on the Tuesday Warmachine nights at the Wondering Dragon!

Now for some shots of the terrain by the end of the day/evening...

This terrain is meant to be used, so feel free to use it for your games of Warmahordes!!

Taking flight once again...

OK folks, look what we have here.  This is the second Imperial Fists Storm Eagle.  It had all the torment of the other ones, and then some :-)

I am just glad that it's done!  I will have many more images from various angles over the next few days.

I had forgotten just how monstrous this vehicle is.  It makes the Darke Eldar Razorwing look like a Venom by comparison.

It also weighs a ton.  Huge chunks of solid resin.

I did a few things differently with the second Storm Eagle, so that they would be somewhat distinct from each other.

The top views will show even more of the streaks and scortch marks, and so on.

You can look through the blog posts on the previous Storm Eagle, and how the pieces were painted.

Stay tuned for more!!