Wednesday, July 23, 2014

More Siege Train cars

Back aboard the Siege Train!  Yes, more Shaded Basecoat.  Mostly the same process as the engine and caboose.

These shapes are going to be more challenging than the other two pieces so far.

Working up the brass section.  Pun intended. :-)

Both cars moving along on the shaded basecoat.

You can see that some preliminary shading was done on the front panels.  Note the difference in contrast between the right side, and on the left where no shading has been added yet.

Now the entire front panel complete.  Later on, most likely with powdered pigments, additional colors will be tinted and shaded.

The overall view, just before I began to work again on the brass.

These trim lines are going to be even tougher to shade.

Getting there.  At this point, will be adding some other tints of yellow to get some color variety in here.  I don't want the whole thing to be the greenish tint!

Now the brighter, more pure yellow has been added, so things start to pop more along the edges.

Once the highlights are added to the trim, I can do the same with the other surfaces to keep everything in line.

This image shows the difference where no additional highlights have been added to those surfaces.  It does not look as 'sharp' or as defined.

And then those highlights are added.  Please not that none of them were pure white.  There was always something else added in... either a touch of yellow, green or blue.

Often I will add yellow to white to highlight a blueish surface, as that gives a more 'spectral' effect to the highlight, and vice verse with the yellowish surfaces.

This shot gives you a good idea of how these last few steps have progressed from where we started.  There is contrast in value patterns, obviously, but also some in the colors as well.  Note the warmer reddish hues in the darkest areas on the roof.

That was done to add a little extra interest, so that the entire car was not blue tinted.

From here, I will be adding some freehand, and then the weathering effects.  Stay tuned!

Rust-oleum paints

Moving along with our big base... I decided to break out those same colors with the properties of "sedimentation" which I demonstrated with the Happu Seppuku moulds.

These three PP colors seemed to share that property when mixed together and thinned with water.
They were Khador Red base, Skorne Red, and Blood tracker brown.

Ordinarily I just take an orange and a black to create a rust color, or use the Secret Weapon weathering powders.  But, I only had those on hand when I did the rust effects a few weeks back, so I learned something new!

I will still use the weathering powders on this, by the way...

Thinning down the mixture, I let it sink into the crevices like a glaze.  You have seen me do opaque or lighter glazes like these before .

You can see that it has the consistency of the glazes, which allows me to concentrate it in the spots where the water would collect, thus creating the rust.

Once I had a generic tone in every spot that I wanted, I could go back in with a lighter version.

This lighter version of the rust would only go in a few select areas, just to make some fun contrast.

Remember that I used a lot of blue in the gray of the metal.  This is the reason why.  It lets the rust show up by default, as a warm color against a cooler color.

Rust is added around the grating as well.

I added some blue/black to the mix, and added some oil stains in places.

So, just a few more tidbits here, which will probably be done once the figure is attached, so that I can do whatever touch ups might be required!