While the original concept art did not show any glowing conduits, you know me and my appetite for such things.
Having read some of the back story of the Wild West Exodus universe, I know that a new 'power source' was discovered, and that it glows red. So, I located a few spots on the engine that I thought might be fun.
With all the dark colors, and varying shades of gray, the extra interest added by such a glow could be very important.
As usual, out come the Vallejo fluorescent paints. Keep in mind that while they are very thick consistency, they are very transparent.
You also have to be very aware of what colors you are using to lighten them. Be sure to use high saturation yellows, and stay away from white. You will be a weird pink glow instead. :-)
You can see the glow effect start to emerge. I have to remember that all the dark surfaces near it will get darker, thus magnifying the effect.
Also, I will be doing some glazes on the glowing conduits themselves, which will make the lights that much lighter.
Final bits on the lights. Now to work on the wheels and the back of the engine.
Here are a few more views of the nearly completed Shaded Basecoat stage. I have tried to leave myself as much room as possible in the value scale to do more contrasts.
The reason I do the Shaded Basecoat is that it gives me a lot of flexibility as I move forward. I can change things here and there... I am not locked into a certain path.
Even my initial glazes made quite a difference... those coming up next! Keep this view in mind when you see the Glazing images.