Friday, March 15, 2013

Wild horses... painting unusual stuff part two

Here are some more of those unusual figures from Maidenhead Miniatures... and Australian company.

They had a ton of centaur figures.  Some were bigger, some were smaller.  This one was mounted on a 40mm round base (I think it was called a Heavy Centaur).

These are based on 25mm squares.  Obviously, the light centaurs!  They could certainly be an interesting D&D creature.

One of the originals...

Here is one of the original Grey Knight terminators I had made way back when I fist started the Demonhunter army.  This guy was made at the same time as the original squad of terminators that I created using regular plastic space marines.

I had to do a lot of sculpting and converting to make that work.  The helmet, psychic hood, actuators and so on all had to be sculpted from scratch.  The armor plates were all sculpted in the same Sacred Chalice fashion.

I also added the long flowing purity seals.

You can look back through the old Demonhunter posts to find that original squad that won the Golden Demon at our first Games Day back in 2007.  There are pictures showing the construction, I believe :-)

As with the previous versions of these terminators, I had some fun painting the marble floor reflection on the legs!

This figure is available on Ebay right now:

Some stained marble :-)

Here was another fun experiment.  After seeing Cathy's Papa Nurgle figure that she is working on, I wanted to give these colors a try.  It was a mix of several light colors to begin.

I had a very light tan and a very light teal color out on the palette, and painted the entire base with them, with only subtle differences in the shading.  This was to set up all the glazing and shading that was to come afterwards.

This time, however, I would be doing even more shading to get the deepest darks.  I was testing a few new glaze colors.  You have to be careful when you take this approach, as it can be very easy to kill off your middle tones... and even your highlights!

For the shading, I was mixing GW glazes with Vallejo inks, watered down blue and grey Reaper liner colors, and so on.  I used some Secret Weapon concrete wash, which is always interesting, since it is actually a lighter, more opaque wash.

When mixed with other colors, you get some very interesting results.

If you look at some of the other Nurgle bases, you will recognize what I did with the ooze surrounding the rocks.  I love mixing the fluorescent paints with the gloss medium!  It just looks so toxic!!

It is important to have a nice layer of shading and other 'set up' colors beneath that mixture, as it gives it so much more depth!

I also had some fun with the impaled skellie...