Friday, May 6, 2016

Roll out the Runes!


I think it was about a month ago when I profiled the new Green Stuff World texture rollers, and I never got a chance to post any images of the first test bases!

Right now, I have about 6 or 7 different texture rollers.  This was the first batch, purchased directly from Green Stuff World.


For the demonstration, I wanted to use a stronger, firmer sculpey clay.  The gray extra firm is perfect, because it is not rubbery like the Sculpey III.  While it is more robust than the original white sculpey that I normally use, it is still designed to be carved somewhat easily.


Here's a quick review of the process.  I rolled out a slab of the clay onto a ceramic tile.  This is a much better surface for baking, as it won't make your cookies smell like sculpey, which baking on a cookie sheet will do.  Also, those tend to flex and the sculpey gets too hot.


I did the usual sculpey shelf style bases as a quick test.  I have some cork underneath the sheets of broken sculpey.


You can see that I was able to make a number of bases, and still have clay left over!  I also added some sand and gravel around the edges and seams.


A few Secret Weapon skulls were added for some extra imapct!


I have a few ideas for painting these bases.  I want to try some glowing runes on a few of them... at least the ones which are underneath a magic user! :-)

There are many more articles to come, showing additional textures and more complex/elaborate basing methods.  I just wanted to get these on screen for you as quickly as possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment