Friday, November 21, 2014

It ain't 'easy' being green


Back to the late war Easy Eight.

When we last left our intrepid tank crew, the final touches of the Shaded Basecoat phase were being added.  As usual, the idea behind this is to set up subsequent glazing, shading and tinting.


To do the glazing phase, the usual suspects made their appearance.

Lots of washes from Secret Weapon, augmented by a few Vallejo glazes.


You can see the various glazes set up on the palette, ready for action.

Just as I did with the Shaded Basecoat, I want to be very aware of color temperature... that is, vary the greens from warmer to cooler.  That's why there are so many glaze color options out here.


This view shows the difference some of the warmer glazes on the wheel assemblies.  The cooler glaze colors will be placed on upward facing surfaces.


The turret is another key area for that warm/cool balance.  The vertical walls will have more warmth to them... but the opposite on the top.


You can see the basic glazes starting to take shape.


Also, keep in mind that you can do a number of glazes in one area to make it darker if needed.  It's far better to do this gradual approach, as you get some nice smooth shading that way!

Once the primary glazes and shading are complete, I get to do the next fun part.  That will involve mixing the glaze colors with the regular paints and working in the middle tones.


Once I am done with that, I will do the weathering effects.  I have added a few cursory paint chips for now.  Much more to come, so stay tuned!





6 comments:

  1. Why are you going cool on top and warm on the sides?
    The gamers out here are all saying "fill in your details and it looks great already!" : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool colors face the sky, as they always do, while the ground reflects warmer light from below :-)

      Delete
    2. Well that's quite logical ;) How dare you!

      Delete
    3. Darn logic... always gets in the way! ;-)

      Delete
  2. This is a great study. I had always been frustrated with my WW2 tanks that were basically one color (US, Soviet, ect.). This has shown me how to do those warriors justice! I can't wait to see the tracks, another area of frustration for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty funny that all the color theory stuff involved with the greens is included in the video that I made. (I did a number of these "get the most out of such and such color" videos)...

      Delete