Friday, September 5, 2014

Songs from the wood...


Here's something fun!  Very nice wood pieces from Markshire Studios:



As you can see, there's a wide variety of very special wood types to choose from.


I have to figure out some special things to do with these... that preserves all the wonderful textures and wood grains!


There are probably a few minis that I can just use as a base...


Perhaps I can also combine some of the tree bark and mica bases with these.  I had even thought of having a sculpted tree growing out from one of these.


To get an idea of scale and size, I put a 28mm figure in the image.


So, off to find some fun things to do with these fantastic wood pieces!


9 comments:

  1. A Tull reference! Be still my beating heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! It is still one of my favorite albums. I did love Crest of a Knave as well!

      Delete
  2. Wow...these are really lovely. I don't even know where I would start. Would you build structures around the wood? Would you paint upon it?

    I assume the wood is very smooth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wood is very smooth, with a laquered finish...

      Delete
  3. The wood surfaces are sanded after being cut. We use tung oil or polyurethane depending on the type of wood and the relative dryness of the pieces. The outside edges of those with bark are left alone and simply finished to preserve the bark and the uniqueness of it. Like the worm tracks along the edges of the Elm rounds.

    You can paint around it. A miniature dollhouse maker in Russia is going to make miniature houses on the larger pieces she bought. Her blog... http://minibabysteps.blogspot.com. I think that's why James just posted about them prior to getting involved in the project ... just so many ways you can utilize them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting Thom! Thanks for replying and posting about the houses!

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome. We're stoked to have some in James' hands to mess with. I am really looking forward to to seeing what he does with the Mica Flakes.

      Delete
    3. It will be a lot of fun to see what can be done with them!!

      Delete