Friday, August 22, 2014

A storm is coming


This is one of two units of Galdrhim that were part of my Knights of the Blood Rose army.  The Werner Klocke sculpt out front is my Stormcaller.


Each unit had a variety of spears, swords, and bows.  A few also had shields.  This is something I really enjoy about Lord of the Rings.  Each individual can have a different set of weapons, which makes creating synergy between them very fun!


Another view.  The spears can be used to back up the swordsmen, which have shields.  This gives you the fighting bonus and the defensive bonus at the same time.


The high fight skill was crucial to making this all work.  In another post, I will talk about the original plan for the army, which did not stand up to repeated play testing.


Yes, you heard that right... I actually play tested lists!  Many times, in fact.  You can see the battle reports here:

The first one was played before the figures were even painted.



Originally, the Army of the Dead were going to be a big part of the Army.  This was to show just how far these guys would go to hang onto their lands.


I really liked this champion figure.  He did quite well with his might points!

This also gives you an idea of the typical formation, with the shield toting swordsmen out in front of the spears...


A touch of freehand here and there.


Pointy sticks!!!


I hope to get back to playing these guys again at some point!!


8 comments:

  1. Fantastic use of colours ... I can't explain it but it looks pastel-like yet bright and vivid at the same time. I know I am not making sense but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One more unit to go, and then a big group shot!!

      Delete
  2. Excellent work For some reason they have a Japanese feel to them, maybe its the foliage which reminds me of cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I just had to put those on there... I had to put something on there to indicate a Blood Rose somewhere :-)

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous! The slightly muted colours are sublimely Elven. I hope those plants on the bases hold up to actually being played with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They have held up to a lot of use, that's for sure :-) They are pretty flexible...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait until the next few rounds of photos. :-)

      Delete