Monday, December 3, 2012

Hammering out the rest of the Blacksmith forge base

Back to the base!  After establishing all the lighter colors, I had one last thing to do before the darks were added.  That is, a bit of yellow white mixed with the fluorescent yellow for the base of the hot coals.

I used the fluorescent orange as a transparent glaze over that light color.

I mixed in a bit of red with that orange, and did more glazes.  Then I used a reddish brown to re-work the coals, and tighten up the reflected light on the anvil.

Now some black is mixed in with the red/brown, and the coals are darkened further.

Time to start glazing the whole thing!  Darks are spread around everywhere, but the forge is the most important, in order to set up the big time contrast...

This shows some of the washes and glazes on the rest of the base.

To me, the best way to show soot and ash was to break out the weathering powders!  I did a light grey ash color on the base and on the anvil, but a tan mix on the light part of the bricks.

I saved the black soot for last, and tried to be smart with it.  Too much would ruin everything I had tried to set up until that point.

I tried to make a bit of a 'path' from the forge to the anvil with the black soot.

Then it was time to finish off the miniature!  Stay tuned for a step by step on that!


  1. That's awesome; love the OSL on the anvil!

    1. Thanks! I think you will enjoy the images of the blacksmith and the base together!

  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for putting up with my obsession with OSL! ;-)

  3. You know James, your posts always manage to both encourage and frighten me, at the same time. You make it look so simple in the beginning ("seven pieces of plaster", right, "some drybrush", piece of cake!) but then... Can't wait to see your DVD project unfold.

    1. One of our main goals with the DVD's is to replicate the environment that we created with our hobby seminars. Those were very interactive, and people learned a great deal in 2 hours!