Monday, November 19, 2012

Vegetation for the woodland base.



Well, what would a woodland base design be without some foliage?  Once more, we look back to some pictures of the original base set.  The green stuff is all of the special details, such as the moss, fungus, mushrooms, leaves, etc.  All of it was added once the Apoxy Sculpt had set up.


The moss is done by spreading out a blob of green stuff, and stippling in the texture.  I did a little bit of 'pulling', so that there was some directional quality to the strokes.  Otherwise, it would be a very boring texture.


I try to position these clumps in various places, mostly concentrating on recesses.  This is important later on, as these clumps will help make an anchor for the more glamorous details.


You can see the mushrooms positioned on top of the mossy clump.  Some fungus is sculpted onto the side of the stump as well.


Now it's time for some vines!  I start out with one tube of green stuff, which is sliced at various points to make it branch out.


Once the branches are set, I can add some leaves.


More vines and leaves are applied, trying to make considerations for the overall composition and footprint of a miniature.


Once all the green stuff has set, the final sand and gravel application is done, and poof!  Woodland base!




6 comments:

  1. Awesome. I've done a few stumps, but not to that degree....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stumps seem to be one of the best places to have the miniature stand. It's fun to have it balanced on a log, but that makes it a lot more difficult. I guess if one foot is perched on the log, as if the figure was stepping up onto it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Nicely done and an excellent tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks :-) Often I post these things at the end of a very long day of painting, and I worry that I don't make any sense!

      Delete
  3. Lovely sculpt there, and great tute as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I have only gotten to use one or two o these bases for my own miniatures. Hopefully I can get a chance to use these... maybe for Circle Oboros?

      Delete