Saturday, November 17, 2012

From kitchens to bathrooms... luxurious marble tile!



Well, maybe not.  But, it is a fun type of base to create, and it can look really neat!

By now, most of you are very familiar with the process.  Start with cork, and put a layer of baked sculpey on top.


I set a smaller chunk of sculpey in the open area instead of the cork...


Just like the skull base, I want to draw out my pattern...


Time to start carving and scribing!  Just like our previous base design, the depth of your cuts is very important.


Here I am using my trusty carving tool!


Some early results.  You can see that I did the smaller tiles in the pattern first.  I found that this is the best approach.


Once the entire basic pattern has been carved in it is time to put in all the cracks and missing tiles.


I used the metal scribe tool that you saw on the skull base to put in those finer, shallower cracks.


Once all the carving is finished, it is time to put down the sand and gravel!


Here are some images of the previous bases I made for this set.  Fun to paint!!!




10 comments:

  1. Ditto! The Chaos bases look great as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! These have been fun posts to make! :-)

      Delete
  2. You have put out so much awesome content on basing recently I am struggling to keep up with them :) They are all bookmarked and I am determined to take a crack at least once at all of the techniques.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Best of luck with the bases! Once I can get through the next few days of Holidays I will try to post a few more basing articles! They are all practice for the DVD's :-)

      Delete
  3. Aaaahhhhhhhh! It's beautiful! Gorgeous choice in materials and stunning reveal! I'd never leave! haha! Amazing job, as usual! ;)
    white marble tile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I would love to have this tile in my kitchen!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, and for checking out the blog!

      Delete