Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Salvaging a Finecast Grotesque (with more than just liquid green stuff)

Photobucket

Well, you don't really need me to tell you about the "anomalies" in the Finecast material.  That has been discussed to death on many forums.  I wanted to show in this post a possible solution...

This particular item was very messed up.  It had been sitting around for over a year as I tried to figure out what to do.

Photobucket

As it turns out, I recently decided that I wanted to have an Aberration for my unit of Grotesques with a Scissorhand.  I ended up taking parts from the Chronos/Talos sprue in order to make it useable.  You can see all the darker grey plastic parts, as well as a few of the additional green stuff tubes that I added.

Photobucket

I even had to replace a lot of the drug pistons on the back, as those were either horribly miscast of missing altogether.  I will be fixing my other grotesques by using polystyrene tubing.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. holly s...t - I dont know whats that but its soooo awesome man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks1 Let's hope is is as fearsome in the game as he is as a miniature :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! At least now I have some idea of how to make each one different! :-)

      Delete
  3. Well, that's just grotesque! Sorry, I'll be good now. My sympathies to you. I had to do the same with mine. The DE line was one of the first finecast lines and had some really major issues. That being said I ended up with some very nice conversions as a result so happy ending there - and here too. I should state that finecast has improved in leaps and bounds since so don't let this be a put off for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :-)

      For my experience, figures that have come in as recently as a few weeks ago have been downright horrible. That's what has me so worried. It has gone across all three systems as well. Even Forgeworld has been getting into the act, using finecast resin :-(

      Delete