Monday, February 20, 2012

Dark Sword huge metal Dragon

Given all the talk about resin replacing pewter these days, here is something  that was one of the most difficult pieces I ever attempted, for a variety of reasons.

This massive dragon is all metal... including the wings!  I spent several days creating the display base, and a few more painting it.

Then it was time to attach the beasty to that display base. :-)

So, a few images:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh , yeah, and it was less fun to ship as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, love your painting, my eyes well up when I see your minis then I look at mine and cringe at my novicey (is that even a word?). Just wondering what paints you use and how you get the glow technique from the lava? Lovin your work and hope to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I really don't use lots of specific colors (brands, etc.). It tends to be more of whatever happend to be on hand at the time!

    With the glowy effects, I try to begin the reflected light sections with an orangey red, and work lighter from there. If I feel that I really need to plan out where these parts might be, I will do a quick drybrush of the orange color while I am still doing my 'shaded basecoat' Whatever gets hit with th eorange paint probably needs a lighting effect :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will try that technique at some point when other people's minis aren't bogging me down. I have added a link on my club's website to your blog, our website is www.northayrshirewargamesclub.com, please check it out. (my profile is CRUSAD3R on the website :) )

      Delete