Thursday, November 27, 2014

The 'Secret' to good cooking


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I hope you are all having a great day with great food!!!

And if it's not Thanksgiving where you live, I wish you all the best, and express my appreciation for you coming to the Painting Madhouse!!

So, I mentioned a rust/staining technique that I discovered by accident.

It involves using the Secret Weapon Orange wash.  Quite often, I use the Secret Weapon washes with regular paints to create semi-opaque washes, mostly in the middle tones.

I also  use it to thin my paints instead of water.  This time, when I did that, I noticed that when mixed with certain 'regular' colors, it made a very nice stain/rust color!


Obviously it flowed quite nicely, since it was very fluid with the Orange Wash.  This meant that it would flow into those crevices very well, with not much effort.

But it also had a staining property when used it a very watery form.  Thee were times where I would place a drop of this mixture on the surface and dab at it with a paper towel, creating random textures that I could enhance with darker, more opaque layers of paint.  

You can see a hint of that on the rear gun mount. 


Yummy breads made by Chef Babo will be a fantastic addition to Thanksgiving dinner!!!  Butterscotch morsels, ginger ale tint, and a crust of melted butter/caramelized sugar should help to fight the sleep induced by turkey!


In this side shot you can see that using the Orange Wash mix works very well for the rivet stains.  It's very easy to 'draw down' a strand of the orange rust from the rivet.


In this view, you can see a number of instances where I put down a 'puddle' of the orange mix, and then manipulated the edges in different ways.  Sometimes I would feather them out to make it very soft, and at other spots I would add in those darker colors, letting them mix by themselves.


You can see a few of the 'regular' paints I used as my rust colors.  There was also a very deep, rich umber color as well.


The method really shone on the wheels!  It was the perfect thing.


Here are all the pieces, ready for assembly!!!!



The first image of the assembled Flame Truck.

There is still a few hours of finishing work to be done, mostly in the form of weathering powders.

Stay tuned for the final images!!!!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! Which Reaper colors do you use? I can't see their names in the photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see Outlaws gettin' some love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually I will be doing a whole Outlaw Posse :-)

      Delete