Here are the two bases for the Brunhildes on horseback. These were made with my usual carved sculpey technique. This is also be the subject of a Kickstarter Video :-)
My first layer was a very simple brown, using that craft paint you have been watching me use in recent weeks. I then took some of the GW 'dry' paints and started to mix those in, utilizing a bit of drybrushing...
More drybrushing, making sure to vary the hues from greens to reddish yellows. I also marked out which of the tile pattern would be white.
Now for some actual color! Continuing with the same Empire-esque color theme I have been using all along, I made some red accent tiles.
I did a little bit of lighter shading on the tiles... the red in particular. I mixed in some vomit brown to do that.
My favorite part... doing the glazing and shading! I put a few sepia tones, a black, and a concrete from Secret Weapon.
Using my beat up liner brushes, I carefully placed selective glazes on certain areas to darken them. Don't be afraid to wipe away excess wash/glaze with your finger or a paper towel. It can create a very nice random staining effect!
I didn't try to go for my darkest darks the first time around. I did 2-4 layers of glazing where I needed things to be darkest. You can see that I started to add a few cracks as well.
Now you can really see the cracks, as I did some subtle highlighting on them.
I will add static grass and other flock once the minis have been attached. I hate it when the sculpey dust that I am drilling out for the pins gets caught in the static grass!!