A big part of the Grotesque squad is the Aberration. I am hoping that the scissorhand will help out in those close combat situations. This all started out in the usual way, starting off with middle and light tones. preparing the way for the subsequent darker glazes.
Still laying out the colors at this point.
I did some lightening on a few areas...
I put some fluorescent color mixes on a few of the tubes...
And put some ochre colors on the spine, which is one of the more crucial areas I have to set up, as it really sets the tone for the miniature.
Let the glazing begin! I had a whole series of glaze colors on the palette...sepia, black, brown, purple, burgundy, blue, etc. You can see that I did dark glazes on as many surfaces as I could, moving rapidly from one element to the next.
When it came to doing the glazes on the exposed spines, I didn't do too much, as something special was planned for that!
For this stage, I took Vallejo transparent red and mixed that with some Reaper blue liner (a semitransparent color as well), keeping some watered down GW violet nearby to lighten the mix.
The darkest parts had the most blue in the mix, which was between each segment of the spines. More of the transparent red was used as I worked away from the spines. That same mix was used around the grafted elements, creating that 'rashy' sort of look. The non-transparent GW violet lightened that mix so that it blended into the flesh tone more easily.
It was time to get some blood on all the sharp stuff, so I went back to that transparent red/blue mix. Some 'ardcoat was added to make it more glossy, and give it a bit more body.
Some more blood on the weapons. I also added some of that glossier mix to some of the spine.
The less fun part of painting all the vials, tubes and such began in earnest now. A few of them were glowing, as the previous figures did. Several of the extra pieces on this guy came from the Parasite Engine kit.
Just about finished! I painted the hot pants design at this stage. The design stared out with an orange red mix.
That was lightened with some firey orange, and then some yellow to finish it off.
Since there were so many casting issues with this thing, I put some 'ardcoat over the vials to see what might happen. It did create some of those spectral highlights, which was good. The miscast elements had made it just about impossible to paint those in the normal way!
And the base. It matches the other ones as closely as possible.
For those of you who had not already seen the raw conversion, here it is!
I will post the painted miniature tomorrow! Stay tuned!