Sunday, February 24, 2013

Giant base with a casualty

Here's the last of the big bases.

This series has been an experiment on a few levels.  First, I wanted to see if this size might be better for the instructional videos that will show you how to paint marble and tile, as it might be a lot easier to see on these huge bases!

Second, I will be putting lots of casualties like this poor lad on my Adepticon Dark Eldar bases, and I wanted to try out some things.

So, like the others, I started out dark, and then did some lighter drybrushing with a cooler and a warmer light color.

I even put some on the casualty, just to get a feel for the lights and darks on the armor...

Then it was time to draw out the design...

Then painting in the black...

And taking the Intermediate blue to start putting in the marble texture.

It was lightened just like the previous bases with the USMS highlight.

And then the liner brush was brought out to get the finer and lighter veins.

Now it's time to start working on our casualty!

We will concentrate on him in the next post.  Stay tuned!

I have found on several of these big bases where I have the casualties that the Sanguinary Guard legs are fantastic for that lying on the ground pose.  I wish I had lots more!  They would make life so much easier for my casualties on the Dark Eldar bases.  I guess it is time to try to hunt some of them down on ebay...

Painting giant bases, part two

OK! now for the big finish!

Continuing with the painting of the big base, I was reaching the stage in painting the lightest areas of the marble.  I had switched from the #8 round to a liner brush.  This would not only allow me to get the very thin veins in the marble (and fine highlights on the logo design), but paint the cracks as well.

The liner brush is great for this, as it holds a lot of slightly watered down paint.  This lets you work across the surface with those fine lines.  You can see in this image that I did some highlights on those cracks.

I also started painting the vehicle bits.

Some rust is applied to the vehicle bits using the watered down calthan brown, followed by some vomit brown into that mix to lighten it.

Now it's time to glaze and tint the shadow areas of the rocks.  I put a series of glaze colors on the palette... black, sepia, green, etc., and worked the shadows darker and darker.

Once all the darks were finished, the base was ready to go!!

Of course, most of the base gets covered by the giant thing standing on top of it, but at least you can see it here. :-)

Stay tuned for the next base!