Tuesday, August 5, 2014

House of Castellax...


OK, some WIP images of the Mechanicum Castellax.  I showed you the shaded basecoat images a few days ago... now for some glazing!

There's a variety of materials out on the palette (or dvd stack protector in this case!), including Vallejo and Reaper.  The Reaper liner paints are the high pigment, yet very thin paints which are fantastic for creating great dark shades.


The glazes on the metal parts focused mostly on the blue/black mix, but I also tried to work in some browns and more neutral black/gray.

This was done to compliment the much warmer reds and golds of the armor plates.


Keep in mind that once this is complete, I will go back in and add even more color variety in the midtones and lights.


The goal here is to set the deepest dark shades, and plan out where the brightest highlights will eventually be.  Also, I will think about where I will shift the midtones more purple, green, and so on.


I decided to make the ball on the back of the torso be glowing in order to get more interest back there.  I didn't want to rely on weathering alone to break up all that similar color.


The darks, highlights and glowing effect are mostly settled at this point.


I continue to refine the midtones.  By shifting the color on each surface, the metals look less boring, and they also have a bit more shape.


More details are added, including some Mechanicum icons and paint chipping.  Stay tuned for more!!




6 comments:

  1. Really coming together. and its nice to see you talkign through the process too. thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that it was useful! I try to do this as often as I can!

      Delete
  2. An inspiration as always. The osl is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to post the finished images :-)

      Delete
  3. Looking good, I have been using old cd's as pallets. Thanks for the ideas and techniques!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he... I have TONS of those. Plus, you might have seen me using the leftover non stick paper that is from all the DVD labels. Thousands of sheets at this point! I will have palettes for years and years...

      Delete