Monday, March 4, 2013

All Along the Watchtower: Part 1 of 3



This particular terrain building project will be featured in one of the Painting Pyramid videos.  I built this piece to get a better idea of the materials that would be needed, how much time each particular aspect of the tower took to make, etc.

I began by cutting a 2 inch thick section of foam into a few shapes.  The rock formation was done using a technique that you can find in several previous terrain building threads.  Onto this was added a few rectangular pieces that would form the 'body' of the tower.

This was kept relatively small, as I didn't want to create a massive tower!  You can see the 28mm figure which was used for scale.  It was important to have that around when it came time to make the platform on top.


I still had some very thin pink foam left, so that was cut into the correct sizes and shapes.  By measuring the height of the archer, I got a better idea of how the crenellations should be spaced.


I made some marks on the foam (after cutting a beveled edge along the top first), so that I knew where to make my cuts.


Once I had this first piece, I used it to measure the other 3 walls...


Then it was time to glue them on!


The basic platform has now taken shape.



I cut out some supports for the platform out of a few scraps of pink foam.  These were more for decoration than anything else, but they do add an element of realism...


I glued them in place...


Once that set up, I added some steps to one side of the tower.


Stay tuned for Part Two!!


4 comments:

  1. Already taking shape nicely, great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice.

    what is the figure you used there for scale? it looks like an elf archer of sorts?

    ReplyDelete