Monday, December 3, 2012

Hammer and Anvil: Creating a Blacksmith's forge



This is the first of the Stonehaven kickstarter miniatures that I will be working on.  She is Elinda Hammerforge.  

Since these dwarf figures are supposed to be more character than random miniatures, I want to make bases that really fit the theme or story behind them.


So, it was off to the internet to see some images of blacksmith's forges.  The challenge would be to find something that would not only fit on the base, but not overwhelm the figure!


I decided on a simple brick forge... one that might also let me get some glowing light on the miniature.

I started by cutting a scrap of baked sculpey into rectangles...


The rectangles were weathered, and then put in place.


I glued in some rocks and gravel to create the coals...


Time to start painting!!


My first layers were designed to establish those warm and cool areas that you hear me mention so often!


As I work lighter, I introduce some new colors.  For instance, some tan was placed onto the bricks.  I did this in order to set up the very dark soot that would be added much later.


Cooler greys are used to lighten a majority of the surfaces.


I continue to lighten all areas, knowing that later I will be adding lots of soot and ash.


The conclusion of the Forge base will be posted tomorrow!  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment