Friday, November 23, 2012

Glazing and shading Angron!

OK everybody!  My apologies for the delay.  Not only was it the Holiday, but my computers seem to be in massive revolt, making it almost impossible to even get to my blog.  Yikes!

Anyway, as you all know, Angron was ready for his shaidng and tinting!

The idea behind the shaded basecoat is to make a series of lighter colors so that I can go in with all my glazes (a variety of GW, and vallejo  washes and  glazes) and adjust all my colors as I shade things darker.

My first task was to work the golds.  I had a few shades of brown, black, green and even purple!

You can see my first layers on the arm and the legs...

It is important to note that my glazing is done with small liner brushes for the most part.  My glazes are very controlled washes.  I will sometimes do 3-5 layers in a given area to get my deepest darks.

More work on the golds, making sure to vary my glaze colors, such as mixing that purple with my sepia in one place, but black in another.  This really helps generate that offsetting cool vs warm color shading.

I mixed in a blueish green glaze for the condiuts on the back of the head.  These colors wold be carried onto the cloak as well.

Here's the cloak.  At this point, I even started to mix in some Reaper Brown and Blue liner colors.  These are very interesting.  It is like mixing paint and glazes together.  It is a bit hard to describe.  They are very intense, deep darks.  When they are watered down, they make a nice shading glaze.

The skull got a reddish brown glaze, with a hint of that reaper brown liner.  On very rough areas like this cloak, I will even use a paper towel (or even my fingers) to wipe away excess liquid.  All of this will be much clearer in the DVD's!!

As I start to tint some of the last areas such as the face and the reds, it begins to take shape.

The chainaxes were given a series of blue/black glazes.

For the cloak, I even began to mix in regular paint with those reaper liner colors.

I left the inside of the cloak much lighter, barely touching the inside with glazes.

This is where we find ourselves now.  As this dried, I did the same thing on the other elements.  I did some experimentation with a few Secret Weapon washes that I won as prize support at Bilbo's bash.  They have some very interesting properties.

I am still experimenting with them as I get more to play with.  This time I used the concrete wash, which is nice on its own, but gets really interesting when you mix it with other glazes!!

OK, hopefully I will be able to get my normal posts in tomorrow!  Take care, everybody, and I hope you had a good Thanksgiving!