Sunday, April 17, 2016

On the Razor's edge: Basing your Bolt Action minis


With each new genre of type of miniatures I experiment with, new techniques (or at least adjustments and modifications to existing ones) becomes commonplace.

I have used a mix of bark and branch techniques on the Bolt Action figures, with the unusual footprint of the various poses playing a huge role in influencing what I attempt.

Cork has been used more on these than most recent basing.


I was doing a massive basing run on many dozens of miniatures last week.  As you can imagine, this is a very messy process!  Better to create one huge mess than constantly cleaning up again and again.  This is the usual spread of supplies.

Bark, gravel, cork, sand, various glues, and so on.


This radio operator had to fit on one of these unusual oval bases.  It's probably smaller than a typical cavalry base.  The cork is bulletin board variety.


I arranged some pieces in advance to see what might be possible.  This was at the very end of a massive 14 hour session, so I was not about to dig out more materials for this one!


I didn't even want to break out the Oxide Paste.  So, it was going to be a test of what could be done with regular glue and super glue.


A few applications of sand and gravel not only filled gaps, but leveled off the heavier texture of that cork.


I didn't want to have to use the razor saw to chop off one more sprue/base, but the jeweler's block was handy, so away went that extra base!


That made him much easier to place on the left side.


These are tea leaves that we saved, since crushing them up proved to be a very nice ground cover material.  Unlike oregano and other spices, these blueberry tea leaves were easy to break up and scatter.


You can see some of these scattered over the sand and cork.  A little pinch of sand was added over the top, making it look more like real ground cover as opposed to lightly minced oregano leaves! :-)

It's just way to easy to recognize that gambit these days!

Stay tuned for much more!


2 comments:

  1. Very cool. Your use of the word "save" has me wondering whether the tea leaves were first used to brew a pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. First we drank the tea. :)

    ReplyDelete