Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Painting your big bases


With a basing version of the shaded basecoat complete, it is time to break out the washes and glazes!

You can see some washes laid out for use...concrete, sepia, blue black, armor wash and soft body black, from Secret Weapon.


This image shows that you don't have to be bashful when applying them.  I do a lot of mixing.


The concrete wash is especially helpful on the bases, since it is an opaque wash.  I frequently mix that with the other washes to tint it various shades.


When I am working on bases, I try to have paper towels or tissues handy, to remove excess wash from some of the surfaces.  This is essentially a watercolor technique!


I was using the concrete wash to create some lighter green 'mossy' areas on the rocks by mixing it with green wash.


The bases for Syl-Iriah almost complete!  You know how they turned out... :-)


4 comments:

  1. Great results! I must giver those secret weapon washes a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have more posts coming showing how I try to use them in different ways...

      Delete
  2. Very impressive and inspiring work as always. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete