Saturday, March 2, 2013

Experimenting with gloss mediums...

As I work my way through this Grotesque squad, I have been conducting all kinds of experiments in painting various blood effects.  It has evolved with each miniature.  

This current experiment involved a new gloss medium I had not tried before.  It was from Coat D'Arms.  I had won a set of Coat D'Arms years ago at Adepticon as prize support.

I was starting to run low on 'Ardcoat, so I wanted to see what I could do with this material.  Since I had the other Grotesques as a control comparison, I thought this would be a great time to experiment!

I used the same Vallejo Transparent red and Reaper blue liner color combo as I did on the previous Grotesque figure, but this time I added in the CDA gloss medium.

I was not sure what to expect.  It was much thinner than the 'Ardcoat.  However, it really worked well, and let me do some amazing things.  I didn't have to thin it down to do most of the blood effects, as I usually have to do with the 'Ardcoat.

I found that it was possible to get it thick enough to give that 'body' to the gore on the blade and claw, so it was a very good addition to the repertoire! 

My next experiment to be using regular Liquitex Acrylic gloss medium to see if I can create some extra thick effects, such as blood dripping from a blade, etc.

Here's a close up of the base for this final Grotesque.  Tomorrow I will post images of the finished mini, and some group shots, among other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment