Here's the rest of the experiment, painting the casualty. I put down a basic layer of blue, and then some light grey on the other 'half'. Some ochre was placed in a few accent areas.
Along the lines of the 'Shaded Basecoat', I lightened the blue, the light grey and the ochre all the way to highlight levels.
I put a little bit of fleshtone and some hair color on the casualty, using a bit of the darker hair color to restore some of the lines and shadows.
At this point, I started to do some glazing and shading of the rocks around the marble, as well as some of the debris. I did the same on the casualty. I didn't mind that the colors of the armor were dulled as a result, since that was a desired effect!
Can't have a casualty without blood and gore! So, I mixed some Vallejo transparent red with Reaper brown liner into a batch of 'ardcoat. This gave the 'blood' some shiny appearance, and also a bit of dimension, since the 'ardcoat is so thick.
It's important to vary the lightness and darkness with the blood, as well as it's opaqueness. Try to create some smears, some pools, and so on. I like to make the edges of the pools darker, which means mixing a bit more of the dark brown liner.
The brown liner is semi transparent, like the transparent red.
Almost there! Time to do a few cracks on the marble, clean up a few details on the casualty, and create the rust.
And the finished result.
Both of the bases together.