Friday, October 19, 2012

Where it all began: The Triumphal Arch, early 2004



This is the very first of the big dioramas.  Obviously, it was made with sculpey, as all the other pieces from this era.  We are talking early 2004 at this point.  That is whay the painting style looks so different. :-)

I had seen a piece of fantasy art that illustrated an overgrown, ruined arch.  I liked it so much, I had to try and make it real!

I had to learn a lot about foliage on this piece, as I had only done minimal landscaping on small miniatures.


I spent a lot of time super gluing flock, moss, and tree bits to my fingers!


This was also the first time I had carved away baked sculpey.  I needed to do that in order to create the brick textures beneath the broken and cracked surface


This shot shows some of my favorite landscaping material, from Woodland Scenics.  I loved those realistic trees!  You can see it on the left.


This view shows you how much of the landscaping I got up on that top surface.



3 comments:

  1. I love seeing all these early Sculpey works. I think back to how little we knew about the materials we were working with.
    I can see that you signed these old dioramas with finger prints. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It weighed a ton :-) Since then, I learned how to conserve on such things!

      Delete