Thursday, October 25, 2012

Taking flight: Gwaihir finished!


OK... here are some views of the completed Gwaihir!  For those who don't know, I have a few work in progress posts that show how I converted this piece as well as painting process.


Since the last WIP post, I worked mostly on the highlights.  I also did some more work on the darkest darks.  


The base got a lot of work, as I tried to finish off the casualties and the rocks.


The balance of warm and cool colors also played out with the highlights, and with those deepest darks. I mixed a deep terracotta color with a black to line the edges of the feathers where the lights were cooler, and the opposite with the warm lights.







I did decide to toss in some bloodstains on the rocks, the casualties.  There was also a little bit on the eagle's talons.



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Thanks also for checking out the blog :-)

      Delete
  2. James! This is epic. You truly are one of most amazing miniature painter that i know.

    ps. Can't find contact info - could you send me your mail please?
    rothand.studio@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work congratulation
    Greetings
    Captain lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always loved painting birds of prey in 2D, and it's even more fun in 3D!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is absolutely perfect in every way. You have nailed the feathers (which I would think would have been really tough to paint) and the way the eagle looks. The base is spectacular too. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The feathers are pretty difficult to get through, especially those smaller 'interior' feathers! It is so tempting to keep messing around with those, and they end up being way to prominent!

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure there are any descriptors in the English language that can actually do it justice. Stunning? Extraordinary? Amazing? Beautiful? All appropriate and all inadequate.


    A job very well done, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I forgot how much fun some of these big critters are to paint!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely terrific James. A wonderful model on absolutely every level - simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Now I just have to figure out how to keep him away from ringwraiths when I lose priority 9 turns in a row! :-)

      Delete