After getting the Easterlings up to speed, and working on the King's chariot, it was time to focus on the remaining Khand Charioteers. This is one of two conversions I made using a Tomb King chariot and some Rohan horses.
There is a previous thread that discusses the process of making these conversions. For now, let's look at some images of the painting process. The shaded basecoat stages are finished, and some shading has been tested in a few areas to lock down the colors.
I wanted to get through the base first (made from bulletin board cork and sculpey). I had the usual green, black sepia and reddish brown set of glazes out on the palette. Working various colors in the shadows can help create a lot of depth, and keep things from getting too monotonous color wise on such a big surface.
Time to do some serious shading on the chariot itself, focusing on the all important trophy heads!!
I was very happy with the terracotta /orangey shades on the wooden surfaces like the yoke and chariot frame. It set off the blue/purples quite nicely.
I finish off the trophy heads, solidify the shadows and highlights on the chariot wheels, and even get into some of the freehand on the chariot.
I do some shading on the quivers (Tomb King archers) and the fur) During this time I have also been putting layers of glazing and shading on the driver. He is very similar to the King, so I didn't want to get too redundant putting that in this thread as well.
The chariot body gets some more shading, setting up the eventual lighter colors. My plan here is to have the shade colors be warmer, but do some lighter areas that are tinted blue.
I have also been working on the banner. The final colors on the banner will be much different in the finished images I will be taking tomorrow. There will be some final touches on this figure tomorrow, and the flock / static grass will be added as well. Stay tuned! He even gets a name...