Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Introducing the Angels Solarus!

I have been saving these guys for a few months now.  The massive army was completed in February.  It is going to be about the same size as the World Eaters army you have been seeing, so get ready for lots of galleries!

The idea here was to create some kind of splinter chapter for the Blood Angels.  Everything was going to have wings, so Angels would have to be part of the name.  I also wanted to avoid any kind of red (with the exception of the Death Company units), so I had to put my thinking cap on.

I remembered a logo I did for an Amazon Blood Bowl team.. a stylized eclipsing sun.  The color scheme wold have a transition from dark to very light, simulating that "eclipse".  Of course, having to replicate that on dozens of infantry and then a whole bunch of vehicles made me question my sanity more than once!!!

Here is the color test mini, followed by a few of the regular guys.  Many more to come...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Wow! These are beaitiful.

    I've been following your blog for a little while now. All of your work is truly amazing, but I was really attracted to your Imperial Fists and Blood Angels, and these marines combine the best of both of them. I especially like the deep red on these models. Would you be willing to share your recipe for the red? I'm working on some Fire Hawks, and I've been trying to find a color recipe close this. (I wouldn't mind knowin how you paint yellow, either, if you're willing to share :) ).

    In any case, thank you for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfull painted figures. Very nice mix of colors!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I don't have any specific approach to the reds, since I don't always have the same colors on hand. If you are asking about the Pre-Heresy BA's, you can use a scab red/dark blue mix to start, working up to blood red. A little bit of orange is added, and then I start adding things like vomit brown.

    Also, you could start out with a scab red/blood red mix, work your way up to the vomit brown, and make the deep red tones by a series of glazes (start with baal red, then start adding asurmen blue).

    I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James, that does help. I had kind of guessed that's what you did for the BA. (I think you posted something to that effect in one of your posts on shaded base coats.) I was actually asking about the Angels Solarus, which seem to have a browner tinge than your BA. For what you just wrote, I'm guessing you start with a scab red/brown (Dark Flesh?) mix and work up toward Vomit Brown?

      In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm a new painter, and I really appreciate the help!

      Delete
    2. Oops! Sorry :-)

      The Solarus are way more complicated. All those colors are packed up right now as we head out to the Bunker, so I will try and give you a description once I have the names out in front of me.

      It was a very strange mix of vallejo game colors (prize support from Adepticon), and lots of glazes.

      Basically, I chose the worst possible color scheme to replictate across an entire Apoc sized army!

      Wait until you see all the vehicles. It gets INSANE!

      Delete
    3. I can tell you that I stared out with tausept ochre near the feet, then working quickly into mecharius orange towards the torso. The orange was then worked into a terracotta type color.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, James, and no worries. :) I was mostly interested in the red at the top of the mini. Really, I won't be able to do what you've done here! :) But, I thought I might pick up a couple pointers on one of the colors. Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

      Looking forward to more pictures. Can't wait for the insane vehicles!

      Delete
  4. Wow they really do grab your attention, it's pukka when someone takes the time to deliver a new Chapter colour scheme, pulled off amazingly :)

    ReplyDelete