Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What happens when the lights go out...

Since it is pushing 5am and I am still painting, I decided it was time to post these images.

As recently as a few years ago, it was quite common for our electricity cut out, sometimes for days.  Storms would really be bad for keeping the lights on!

That caused a bit of an issue in keeping the line moving on painting.  There were a number of occasions when I painted 2D art by candle or lamp light.

Here is an example of doing the same thing with miniatures!
Photobucket

It got pretty toasty, to be sure, since it was the dead of summer, with not even a fan to move the air.  Surrounded by candles was less helpful for keeping cool as well.

For those who are familiar with our Road Show, they are used to seeing me hauling case after case into a given location to set up the mobile studio.  This is my set up in the hotel room at Adepticon last year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have been asked many times how I get such a horrific number of minis painted in such little time.  This hidden camera photo is from a Chuck Goudy ABC news probe investigation...

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Painting by candle light...I could not do that. I would probably burn my place down knocking over a candle or 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am constantly teased about how much junk I carry around with me to do miniature painitng from any location.

    Somewhere there is a picture of me painting next to the wood stove in my In-laws house. It was reaching about 600 degrees at times, and I was 3 feet away. Nothing like being in Minneapolis in winter and sweating in shorts and a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really made me laugh, very amusing. I must say, painting by candlelight is something I've never tried - very medieval!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. impressive mate.. by candle light, and also how you can travel and paint on the go so.. dunno if this is the right word.. but easily? I cringe at thinking how I would manage trying to do that also..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of that mobility has to do with conducting painting demonstrations for years. Pastel and watercolor demos back in the 2D art days, and then miniature painting classes at Adepticon since 2007. I have gotten so used to hauling everything with me over the years, that the only thing I notice is that I lose a lot of painting time getting to the location!

    I normally paint 10-16 hours a day every day of the week. Little jaunts somewhere to paint at a convention or at a hobby store are almost a break by comparison. :-)

    ReplyDelete