Saturday, April 18, 2015

A great weather(ing) spring day


A little more work on the building today.  When I last left you, the shingles over the porch were being painted to match those on the roof...


And here's that roof.  Simple cereal box shingles.

I made sure I had a variety of 'bleached' colors... reds, tans, and even a touch of green.  Combining the red and green with a bit of light flesh tone can make an interesting gray that can change appearance very easily with just a bit more red or a bit more green, and so on.


Speaking of tans, I lightly brushed in a little tan around the bottom edge of the building, pulling the roof color down to the ground level.  This helps to tie in all parts of the building together.


You can see that I have added a bit more white to the window frames.  Notice that I have left the bottom areas the darker shade.  This is to indicate some dirt, dust, etc.  It also gives them a lot more 'form' than if I had simply painted them entirely white.


You can see the building is starting to take shape!!!


I like to add weathering powders to my buildings.  It adds one extra layer of texture, and the wood is absorbent enough to really hold the pigments.

In this case, I used Secret Weapon weathering powders.


This quick combination of pigments creates a fantastic dust effect which will match the game mats we use to cover the table!


Unfortunately, I did't bring the store advertisement signs that I printed out, but I knew that I had to have a wanted poster on the wall, to demonstrate just how pervasive the Lawmen are in town.


There's still more to do on this building... not only the paper signs on the interior and exterior walls, but some fun little signs tacked onto the porch pillars as well.

 The final touch will the the lettering on the upper facade... stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment