Saturday, March 7, 2015

Giant Critter, Giant Base.


I see that is all the chaos of the last few weeks, I never shot any images of the finished base for the Great Elk!


I'm very glad I remembered before I went to place the Great Elk on this massive platform.


This is not a plinth, folks.  This is the regulation base!  Huge!


Considering it's combat radius is 3 inches, this is quite the pie plate template.

The broken machine you see is the Fire Bringer, which is a resin terrain piece made by Wild West Exodus.


I had SO much fun with the extra roots and undergrowth on this piece. Normally I would use dried foliage branches, but this more vine oriented look was great.


I wasn't sure what would happen to it as it was painted.  if the paint has too much water in it, things get soggy and start to sag.


I can't wait until the duel between the Lawman and the Great Elk takes place!


The roots along the ground worked out as I had hoped, and I have used that on other bases since.


The sprawled skeleton worked out equally well.  It sets up another one of those 'triads' of interest, between the Great Elk, shooter and skeleton.


Stay tuned for when Base and Monster are joined together at last!  Then it's on to the Crystal Brush for large creature category.


2 comments:

  1. That is an amazing looking base. I like how you used the ruined Fire Bringer in it, it really makes it pop, can't wait to see the Elk on the base!

    Thanks for all the links on the KS!

    If I could ask you, as you are in the same sort of weather and climate, what kind of brush on primer do you use and do you thin it? I have tried Gesso and the Vallejo Air primer to brush on, but both dry so fast that I start seeing brush strokes. I am almost to the point of getting an airbrush just to prime in the basement with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use both Vallejo and the Badger primers as brush on. I have never had an issue with drying/brush strokes, as I use larger, more filbert like brushes to apply it (with more of a scumbling motion).

      Delete