Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A horse of a different color

As I have mentioned, having variations in the horse colors for this project is very difficult.

The primary constraint is that nearly every horse must be some shade of dark brown.

I have tried to achieve the separation by making some a bit more red, while others, such as this one, were darker with cooler shadow areas.  This meant mixing more blue with brown in those sections.

On other horses, I even added a tiny bit of yellow to the brown... once again in an effort to make things somewhat different.  Of course, there were also other markings, such as some 'socks', as I did here.

The white patch on the face is also a fun change here and there!

This puts that theory on display.  Reddish on the left, more yellow next, then white, then the darkest colored horse on the right, with a few markings.


  1. They are looking fantastic James! The variations will do wonders.

    1. Thanks! The next big batch I did had even more subtle variations on them :-)

  2. Another batch of beauties.. Your last batch forced me tp try with my first mini and buy some Cuirassiers for myself.. But they weren't in the shop and i ended with bunch of infantry.. for now :>

    But if I may, from historical perspective you could reconsider adding white trim to the red tunic that is under the cuirasses.
    They look very well as is, but you know.. Napoleonic fashion police is always close :>

    1. Thanks! It's a little tough to get some of the trim elements on these guys... less details in certain areas. I'm guessing that's how they were able to make them be more economical for the numbers of minis that you need. :-)