Friday, November 21, 2014

Eight is enough


After all the very tiny Memoir '44 vehicles, it was suggested that I try out the "next size up", which would be Flames of War scale.  

Rich donated a U.S. Easy Eight for the experiment.


This is an example of "Primer Painting", where my first layer is a combination of regular paint and primer.


Early on, I had to feel around for the various details, as I would have to get familiar with the various cuts and shapes.  I didn't prep this, which is the time I normally use to pre plan where certain lights and darks will be placed.


The hull and turret are each very different for me, as I have been painting early war Shermans with the one piece cast hulls and short barreled guns.


Even at this early stage, I am trying to think about where I want warmer or cooler greens to go.  This is very important in limited palette exercises such as these... where all I have to choose from is a variety of green!


This is about the extent of the cooler greens, highlighting to a very grayish green.


Adding some yellow should be just enough to warm up a few highlight areas.


This variety in warm/cool shades of green will keep this from being too boring to look at.  When you combine this with the eventual rust and dirt effects, there should be lots of fun stuff for the viewer to check out!


Also, I have been using the #6 filbert the whole time.  It keeps the line moving, not letting me get bogged down in one area for too long!


This is getting closer and closer to the glazing stage.


OK... time for glazing!!!

Stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. When I first started using the large filberts, I thought it was ridiculous. But now I'm having a blast using them, and don't know if I could go back to the old way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a avid FOW player, I am excited to see (and attempt to copy) your painting of these beautiful miniatures. Thanks! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there will be a good deal more, now that I have an entire 92nd Airborne force to paint :-)

      Delete