Back to the terrain hexes, and a bit of experimentation.
In addition to all the extra terrain pieces we needed to crate for the Western Front... I wanted to start trying out some ideas for Pacific Theatre terrain. So, out come the aquarium plants!
As I mentioned in a previous post, we have learned by experience that we needed to create 'generic' terrain for unoccupied hexes. It was becoming all too frequent that I would move a unit in a forest piece into something else, like a Warhammer Fantasy unit on a movement tray!
Rich had gotten some N scale trees, and we thought those could be handy for making general forest tiles. I added to them with some Woodland Scenics realistic foliage.
Fooling around with Jungle hexes!
Painting the hexes... trying not to make them warp too much. Using a lot of oxide paste instead of watery glue seemed to help.
Ready for the additional ground cover flock!
Ah, yes. clumping foliage, which tends to clump on my fingers via super glue!
More terrain pieces, including a mountain created by Rich. He also painted one of the city hexes in brick red, which was a very nice change!
Check out this array. Believe it or not, we would soon discover that many more pieces would be needed to keep the entire board covered in actual terrain.
All the forest hexes together. When you see the battle pictures, it might give you an idea of just how cinematic the game now becomes. It also makes the thought of advancing through it far more daunting!
Well, I want to say thanks for all the birthday wishes folks! And, as always, thanks for checking out the blog!