Thursday, May 2, 2013

Look... it flies!!



What's that in the sky?  Is it a bird?  A plane?  No, it's a huge chunk of resin, riding on top of another chunk of resin. :-)


When I look at how the Razorwing relates in scale to the flying base and compare it to this monster, it is pretty crazy.  Even if it was not so heavy, the size difference is so obvious.


I had learned a lot on the previous Eagle about where to place the flying stand to balance this out.  It is pretty steady, actually.


I believe the base is made by Dragonforge Designs.  They make very high quality bases of many different designs, and for many game systems.


The neat thing about the flying base is that I could get some new angles for pictures.


I just feel very sorry for whoever has to deal with two of these in a game.  That power of the machine spirit is nasty with just one of these!


Some of those interesting views...





8 comments:

  1. What a monster!! A truly fantastic model. I love the weathering. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of how well you built the thing. (never-mind the gorgeous painting!) How did you get the storm eagle to fit together so well? I have on my desk which is pretty misshapen. Did you use hot water to bend the resin back? Did you use some special ultra-hot hair dryer? I'd love to know, because I've been struggling with what to do with my poorly built storm eagle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a few of these, and I really learned some hard lessons. Like you, I tried to use the hot water trick, but some pieces were so bad, I had to slice away some of them with a razor saw and re-sculpt sections!

      The one thing you must do is abandon that interior wall section. It does not fit at all. The first time I tried to assemble one with that piece included, it literally exploded in my hands. None of the Eagles I made has doors that open, since it was hard just to get them to fit in the first place.

      You will certainly have to do a lot of green stuff work, as I did. Once all the rubber bands were taken off, I had plenty of areas that had gaps, etc. There were other places with miscasts and air bubbles which I turned into battle damage.

      That is why there is so much weathering on these. It really helps to hide all those 'issues' :-) I hope this is helpful! Also, if you look at the past blog posts on the other Eagle, you will see how it was painted in sections. This could be helpful.

      Also, when I glued parts together, I used my "glue, green stuff, glue" technique. The green stuff not only helps to hold the pieces together as it dries, it fills in many of those gaps, giving a greater surface hold for later.

      Delete
    2. James,

      I really appreciate your reply. I've felt rather ashamed of how poorly I managed to get mine together. I was contemplating removing the glue and trying again, but instead I will break out the knives and cut off the bits that don't fit and re-sculpt them with green stuff. I skipped the interior section when I discovered the front ramp was not going to be usable, so I got to miss out on that particular nightmare. It just feels weird having a centerpiece model that is so poorly constructed. I guess I will weather mine up to flying death trap level!

      -john

      Delete
    3. You should definitely not feel bad about your end of it. I know I did at first, until I began to hear multitudes of similar stories... if not worse!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I can never hear that enough!

      Delete