As we continue the construction of the Basilica Canus, we have to get the necessary height. You have seen the side walls going up, but now we need those towers. Not only will the give me a few places for flying vehicles, it will make it a fantastic piece of gaming terrain!
Here I am drawing out the windows...
Which I repeated a few times, cutting out with a very sharp exacto knife. I used some painter's tape to hold the pieces together as the glue set.
I measured several times to make sure that these would be wide enough to accommodate the bases of the Razorwing and Venom. As it happened, the extra width also meant that 10 space marines would easily fit in each of the top sections of the towers! Perfect.
The basic parts of both towers in place. You can also see the walls are getting their second level. All I had to do was trace the window pattern onto this second piece. Also, the polystyrene tubing columns are in place.
Another view. The columns would eventually be moved back a little, so that more light would hit the miniatures on that level.
Originally, there was supposed to be a rosette window between the towers. Time was running very short, so that was not going to be possible. That worked out well in the end, since the platform directly behind the regular windows will let gunner shoot through them! More goodies for future gaming!
Now for the parts that I enjoy the most, and one of the elements that I was able to pioneer on this project. Using the half inch pink foam in the way I would normally use foam core. You have probably noticed the white pieces of foam core on the outer walls. I was now making that same decorative element with the pink foam.
I cut thin strips, and placed them along the walls of the towers. This would make them more substantial, and appear even taller with the visual illusion of vertical movement...
I added a second layer of thin foam to build it out just a little more...
This shows the contrast a little better. Remember, it is important to leave yourself enough room for these extra pieces! I had to make a few adjustments myself. :-)
All of the extra buttressing elements have been added to the towers and the front walls!
Stay tuned for what's next!!!!