Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Something stinky is coming...



Here is something that has been in the works for a while... a Nurgle sorcerer.  It is an interesting mini that I had never heard of until it arrived.

These next few images show the usual shaded basecoat process.  Here's the banner being prepped for its darker glazes...


Some glazes applied.  Remember, the idea is to set up my middle tones.  I want to do a broad range of color variations in that zone, especially on a Chaos mini such as this.  Those middle tones are really key to establishing reflected light and such.


Same for the sorcerer.  Working the lights as much as possible, so that the glazes and shading will set up my darkest darks...


Don't be afraid to go super light at this stage, since lots of darkness is coming!


And here it is, some darker shading.  When it comes down to it, many transparent glazes and washes take a lot less time than a similar amount of opaque paint layers!


Part of those middle tones is your weathering, such as rust, which is what I like to add right after the shading/glazing stage.


More work on the banner and sorcerer.  Stay tuned for the final images tonight!!!!





6 comments:

  1. Wow you do that well. Nurgle has always been a tough one for me. It seems like it should just be a messy paint job with sloppy colors but it's sooo easy to obscure or ruin details and kill the looks of the mini. It's like faux mess or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy all the wild color transitions that Nurgle allows. I tend to start with a basic drab green color and then mix everything from blue to yellow with it :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooo, about time you painted this guy! I think this is easily one of Forge World's best infantry-sized models, I can't wait to see how he turns out overall! The purple is a great touch, compliments that yellow-green really well.

    Granesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the kind words, for taking the time to check out the blog and to comment! It is all appreciated, and it makes things all worthwhile on this end of the screen! :-)

      Delete
  3. Stunning work as always - I can't wait for your DVD's because I need to learn a thing or two about painting this well while speeding up my painting process.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of the reasons I am still working on the Kickstarter details is to maximize it's usefulness to those who will be looking at them. We are even discussing ways to get scrolling text on the screen for those who may not speak English, or perhaps are hard of hearing, etc.

      We have seen so many people benefit from our live hobby seminars... and this could reach so many more painters like yourself who just want a glimpse at a different method and approach to painting. I will keep daily updates going here through the whole process!

      Delete