Thursday, May 31, 2012

Scratch sculpted Eowyn

This was my very first scratch sculpt made from green stuff.

Prior to this piece, I had sculpted the occasional Blood Bowl big guy from sculpey.  It would certainly be so much easier to do today, knowing everything I have learned over the last 10 years!  Even knowing that you can vary your mixture between yellow and blue to make it harder or softer would have helped a great deal.

Using a more yellow heavy mix makes doing tiny facial details and hair much easier.  I did that a lot on the recent projects such as the Ghost Knights and the Death Cult Assassin conversions.

I made this pose as simple as I could, since I also hoped to experiment with casting.  This paint job was the first cast which I made (sorry about the rough picture... it was  awhile ago!) :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Later, I painted another version, trying to use some different colors in more of a Fantasy style.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In this version, I experimented by using a small mirror which I had purchased from a craft store.  I thought it would be neat to see something that could actually reflect the miniature from any angle!

Photobucket

Finally, there is this 'official" version that I painted around the same time that I did my sculpt.  When I did my own, I was really trying to focus on the face.  I am a portrait artist by training, so I wanted to see what I could do with my tools!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment