Sunday, May 6, 2012

Salamander Drop Pod

Here is the one (and only) plastic drop pod I will ever attempt to paint.  After this one, my wife and I said "Never Again!"

It was almost comical to see the two of us attempting to glue this thing together.  No amount of dry fitting could have helped us, as it turned out.  I believe there were 21 different pieces painted individually prior to assembly.

Trying to glue all the pylon pieces together with the engine and the body was insane.  We were each holding pieces of it, putting pressure on one side or another.  These doors are just not made correctly, and I spent hours shaving and filing down those doors to make them fit.  Grrr.

Anyway, here are the pictures!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking drop pod. Not sure about the scales. They're beautifully painted, but they look a little spotty. If thy were bunched together closer with no gaps they might look more scale like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the woes of the Drop 'Sod', still excuse me if I take a little comfort in the fact that even the mighty talents of Mr & Mrs W found the Pod troublesome.

    I grew to loath assembling then painting mine (I still have x3 to go but just can't face them at the mo). But only because it’s such a time consuming model; I actually like the design, a lot effort was put into creating what is in affect a piece of scenery.

    As usual your painting is outstanding, though I have to agree with Garfy there is something about the 'spots', maybe it's just that they are so bold, grabbing the eyes attention. My first thought was, Lava Lamp! Which I suppose would be quite fitting for Salamanders. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It got really crazy with the glue and the parts coming apart, and each of us saying, "No, push on that part, not that one!" The problem was, there were 5 pylons to hang onto, and only four hands between the two of us!

    The spots are actually supposed to be spots, and not scales :-) If you check out some of the other Salamander posts, you catch that same pattern. It was kind of a homage to my Lizardman army, and my spotty skinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame that this is the one and only. I would love to see your take on some of the other Chapters' pods. Well done on this one James and Mrs James. ( sorry, I cannot remember names!)

    ~Chad

    ReplyDelete
  5. How'd you get such beautiful blends on the panels and what colours were you using

    ReplyDelete